Friday 1 March 2013




I want to study architecture at Manchester School of Architecture, which has a lot of resources as being a collaboration of Manchester Metropolitan University and the University of Manchester, for example the information and collection of art and design in the John Rylands University Library and Manchester Metropolitan University Library. In MSA, I can keep in touch with architects and urbanists and learn the most updated and practical information in the industry. I want to study in Manchester, which is an interesting city, which has strong urban and industrial development, with much architecture that can be studied from century ago, the Catherdral in Manchester, to recent building, such as the Lowry Centre and Manchester Civil Justice Centre. There are also famous stadiums in Manchester, for instance Old Trafford which is attractive to me.


I recently have visited The Millennium Bridge on Newcastle upon Tyne at a night. The bridge inspired me a lot with the modern structure. The light shining on the surface of the arch is splendid. I think the design is very creative as it is simply formed with two curves and painted in pure white, which is unique in bridge design. The bridge echoes The Sage, which is also a modern architecture with organic façade. When I walk through it, unlike other bridges with a lot of frames beside the walkway, the path that is handed by wires does not block my views of the Tyne.


One of my favourite architects is I.M Pei. He is the pioneer of modern architecture. Having balance of functions and shape, his works are also designed with pleasant space for humans, such as the Louvre Pyramid in Paris, and the interior of Natural Gallery of Art, East Wing. He also designed amazing and concise skyscraper, for example, the Bank of China Tower in central of Hong Kong, which symbolize the structure of bamboo through modern materials: glass and steel. I wish I can also design architectures that have a large influence just like Pei’s, which give unforgettable impression to people.


I would like to experience in person the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, which is designed by Frank Gehry, as the complex organic structure is attractive. If you are not observing the architecture through the first person view, just by photos or words, you cannot feel the dynamic flow of the façades. The irregular interior of the museum also is interesting, and I am looking forward to experience the space of the Museum and investigate the detail of it. Visiting the architecture, I even can look around the environment of the museum’s location through the windows to see how the architecture fits in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment